[CS-FSLUG] Intelligent design...

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Sep 15 23:32:37 CDT 2005

> Fourth, he makes a sly move is his argument:
> Evolution by Natural Selection vs. ID.
> This is incorrect. Evolution is not Natural Selection.
> The biblical model needs natural selection as well.
> We can observe natural selection happening today.
> So he's saying that to deny Evolution is to deny
> bold-faced, obvious facts. He's wrong.

     Not to be nit-picky, but natural selection *is* a form of
evolution. But there are different kinds of natural selection
evolution: macro vs. micro. Microevolution is the kind we can observe
taking place, macro leads to new species and has not been observed
(so far as I know).

     The thing with pure Intelligent Design is that it approves of
both micro and macro. What it rejects is abiogenesis (to break down
the Greek: beginning from non-life) and certain bits of macro
evolution. ID argues a divine spark to begin things, but does not
necessarily reject the rest of the Darwinian idea: from the
primordial soup all the way to humans. The big idea is (1) life from
non-life is scientifically impossible and (2) it would seem necessary
that certain DNA be pre-existent so that when an animal evolved to a
certain point, multiple dependent characteristics could be "enabled"
at once.

     As far as I know, pure ID will still reject the idea of a young
earth, etc.

     Essentially, ID in this form draws its two objections from the
teleological argument for the existence of God (or, given what reason
can produce in such cases, "a god," but not necessarily God).

     Teleological argument: Both abiogenesis and irreducible
complexity depend on variations of this argument, specifically the
Paley's Watchmaker argument, that the world seems designed and
actually requires design to achieve the way it works. As Thomas
Aquinas writes in Summa Theologica, "Therefore some intelligent being
exists by whom all natural things are directed to their end; and this
being we call God."

     In the end, to reference another one of my favorite
philosophers, David Hume, neither argument is able to actually
provide a rational conclusion of God (as in YHWH). The cosmological
argument is probably the most solid of the two (IMO). The
teleological argument primary to ID can just as easily lead to a
belief, as Hume's Philo explains, in a committee of gods or even demons.

     All this I note, in an expanded form of what I mentioned on my
blog about this a few weeks ago, to note (1) Spaghetti Monsterism is
compatible with ID in its pure form, (2) I think pure ID is something
very different than what most Christians are comfortable with (since
pure ID does not take a preference for a particular religion).

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis