[CS-FSLUG] TD: Orthodoxy (was Re: Benny Hinn)

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Sep 11 19:26:53 CDT 2005

>>      I must admit that the Orthodox church really intrigues me. In
>> many ways it seems to have the best claim to Apostolic authority
>> (since it has remained much the same since early church times), its
>>

> Yes.....it does. VERY, VERY little has changed in much of Orthodoxy.

     I'm not always for inertia, but sometimes it is good. :-)

> I can't find anything in Orthodoxy that I don't agree with. What
> SHOULD have
> happened with those who rebelled against the Catholic church, was
> to SUPPORT
> Orthodoxy. Had that happened, the "face" of Christiandom would be
> totally
> different today.

     Yes, I do wish that had been the case. I think Luther,
especially, would have found good synergies with the Orthodox, since
his was a desire to reform, not start something entirely different
from the Catholic church.

> Well, the Puritans didn't have a clue in some ways either. ;) And,
> YES, we
> have lost a GREAT deal.

     True. :-)

>>      I have a friend who is Orthodox and I always mean to ask her
>> more on the view from the inside, but haven't. I suppose from the
>> denomination always looks greener from the other side of the fence.
>> While in America, she has been rather impressed with the Lutheran
>> Church (LCMS). :-)
>>

> Well, I wouldn't because there are so many liberals. I wish there
> was an
> Orthodox church close by here, but there isn't. :(

     Wouldn't what? Go to a Lutheran Church? The LCMS is pretty
conservative, I'd say, at least here, where all the churches are
within an hour's drive from the headquarters. :-)

     There are a few not much farther than my own church in my neck
of the woods. Perhaps you should move to St. Louis! <g> I'd be nice
to have ya, anyway...

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis