[CS-FSLUG] TD: Orthodoxy (was Re: Benny Hinn)

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Sep 11 17:50:01 CDT 2005

> There is a great deal that "modern" Christians have changed,
> ignored, or
> distorted in the Scriptures. It ranges from hate of the Catholic
> church
> (which YES has it's owns sins to deal with), to most protestants
> not using
> wine for communion, which is THE CORRECT thing to use, as is
> unleavened bread
> instead of soda crackers. So, there are none of us who are towing
> the line
> like we should, except maybe for the Orthodox church and it's not
> perfect.

     I must admit that the Orthodox church really intrigues me. In
many ways it seems to have the best claim to Apostolic authority
(since it has remained much the same since early church times), its
doctrines seem mostly agreeable -- though I have some qualms with
them, just as with any denomination... mostly, in this case, with
their theology that is more Arminian (though long predating Arminius,
of course, it is just easier to refer to it by that) whereas I am
most certainly a Calvinist in most ways.

     But, I like the way it operates. It seems to stand firm in its
views, but be willing to work ecumenically to some extent. It seems
not to waiver much in the face of the world's changing views. And, I
appreciate the idea of a traditional liturgy. I always feel like us
Protestants have lot something of the mystical side of faith by
rejecting the liturgical experience (the Puritans roll over in their
graves as I write those words).

     I have a friend who is Orthodox and I always mean to ask her
more on the view from the inside, but haven't. I suppose from the
denomination always looks greener from the other side of the fence.
While in America, she has been rather impressed with the Lutheran
Church (LCMS). :-)

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis