[CS-FSLUG] RFC: Change of Statement of Faith

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Sep 10 23:02:15 CDT 2005

dmc wrote:

> I am not a big Hank Hanagraff fan as he too often has
> been graceless and has imposed personal preferences
> upon the Word of God.  There are plenty of other good
> sources for Biblical accountability other than the self-
> annointed "Bible Answerman".

While writing the previous message, my eye happened to fall on his book,
but I could easily look up other examples. Hanegraaff is simply one of
the best known. You are correct in noting no one of us is fit to judge
in the sense we can close down anyone's ministry. My own life could be
picked apart. The differences are this:

 - I don't promote myself on TV or in great rallies. I know better.
Those more in the public eye bear a greater burden. Plenty have done it
quite well.

 - You mention that Hinn apologized at one point, but then soon after
returned to exactly the same mistakes, the same fakery and gross
theological flaws that got him negative attention in the first place.

 - I believe there is a discernable difference between the flaws of
frauds and those who simply lack in tact and civility. Hanegraaff didn't
use hidden microphones to fake "hearing a word from God" regarding
someone's maladies during a hyped healing service. No one is sinless,
but it's not hard to tell someone reasonably close to purity from
someone laughably far away.

 - The greatest danger remains a brand of faith that is all emotion and
noise, while ignoring or rejecting 2000 years of Christian history. I
don't agree with every jot and tittle of "mainstream Christianity" over
the centuries, but I don't toss it all out in favor of hucksterism and
wild visions clearly at variance with the obvious meaning of Scripture.
If I do not warn my listeners and readers of very real dangers, I am no
better than the one who *is* the threat.

There is a vast number of Pentecostals and Charismatics who don't
endorse the charlatans. They don't endorse a TV faith that bears only a
vague superficial resemblance to their teaching. They stand for good
solid scholarship and humble leadership. I am at times counted among
their number, depending on how you look at it.

--
Ed Hurst