[CS-FSLUG] Mini-itx kits

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 23:38:56 CDT 2005

Hi everyone, I'm interested in some sort of mini-itx kit or other small bare
bones kit for making a cheap yet usable computer. The reason for this is
that I would like to keep using my desktop for normal use, and then have a
second computer on a KVM switch for development purposes.

I am no looking for brand new hardware by any means, but I would also like
to avoid sites like eBay and the like. I am looking for anything that would
give me decent performance with Linux and KDE, is small and virtually
noiseless, and has a hard drive that's at least 20 Gb or more.

Right now this is all just in the planning stage, I don't even know if I'll
stick to this since I might find another hobby to keep myself busy. I would
however like to get some thoughts on how this could be done, and whether or
not anyone things it's even concievably possible for me to build or buy a
developer box for under CAD $300. I would like to strip the cost down as
much as possible without going with something that won't last, the computer
will really just be for building packages and compiling software though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.