[CS-FSLUG] NI: Linux News Responds to Washington Technology Article on OpenDocument

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Nov 23 12:32:33 CST 2005

Don Parris wrote:
> Washington Technology writer, Doug Beizer, wrote an article focused on
> OpenDocument.  There are some aspects of the article I felt needed to
> be addressed.
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/48341/index.html
>
> My editorial response links to the original article.

You are being too gentle. A little patronizing sarcasm directed toward
MS, while less than gracious, would be more likely to win the PR battle.
How sad that's true, though.

Standard: a known and accepted measure, clearly stated for all to see.
OpenDocument meets that definition. MS-XML: secret measure not yet
submitted to anyone for acceptance, with no plans to allow anyone to see
the whole. This is an arrogant attempt to prevent discussion of the very
issue of discussion: What format shall best meet requirements of open
access to all citizens? Anything with a secret component plainly fails
that requirement, regardless what reason there may be for secrecy.

--
Ed Hurst