[CS-FSLUG] Limits on Limits

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Nov 22 15:51:40 CST 2005

"Order from chaos."

One of the greatest compliments I've ever received was when someone said
that phrase described the work I was doing. It's ironic, too, in that
chaos is a major element of my personality. That is, I don't care for
rules that much. For me, rules are generally there to challenge us to
find new ways to break them.

Of course rules are altogether good, right and necessary. My complaint
is not with the concept of rules, but the realization of them. Too
often rules are foolishly formulated and hatefully implemented. Rules
must come from love, not love of control. That's nothing but selfishness
with another face. We justly call it "oppression," and it is wholly
righteous and holy to fight it. Further, it is not merely the motives of
rules that earn justified indignation. If the net effect is oppressive,
they are just as evil. When something isn't working the love of God,
stop it and do something else. Oppression can be fingered at any part of
the process.

Even rebellion can be oppressive. Ever hear of the French Revolution?
Trading one oppression for another can be a greater evil. No, rejection
of rules is an art, and must be carried out with the inspiration of a
holy calling. Iconoclasm is not holy in itself. Love and grace are holy,
and when rules reflect that, they are holy, too. It becomes an issue
because rules -- either in formulation or implementation -- are too
often evil. It's the nature of fallen man to seek any excuse for evil.

Rules do not equal order. Order is love, and love is orderly. Even in
fully unconstrained expression, genuine love observes limits. Love
discriminates; from the realm of what's possible, love selects what is
good, what is best for the context. Love needs no rules, for rules are
imposed externally. It is the paradox of our fallen world we must make
rules, because our love fails. Within this morass, my calling includes
bringing order by fighting the chaos of bad rules.

--
Ed Hurst