[CS-FSLUG] Wireless, smb and Windows

Ron.T ron.t at sasktel.net
Sat Nov 19 17:29:51 CST 2005

The following is an excerpt from the regulations that govern amateur
radio operations in Canada.

Assigned to amateur radio operators as secondary users

Item    Col I              Col II          Col III   Col IV
ref #   Frequency         Max. Bandwidth Provision  Min. Licence

> 14   902.000 - 928.000 MHz   12 MHz       1           B
> 15   1.240 - 1.300 GHz   Not specified    1           B
> 16   2.300 - 2.450 GHz   Not specified    1           B
> 17   3.300 - 3.500 GHz   Not specified    1           B
> 18   5.650 - 5.925 GHz   Not specified    1           B
>

> Column III "1" means that transmissions may not cause interference nor
> be protected from interference from stations licensed in other
> services operating in that band, and in Column IV , "B" means an
> Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic Qualification

As computer equipment isn't licenced, it would appear that a licenced
amateur radio operator has precedence on these bands.  Amateur equipment
may transmit with much higher effective radiated power levels than off
the shelf computer gear.  The reference document can be found at:
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/sf01226e.html#fre

Image outputting 190 or 750 watts (the maximum depending on your
licence) into a high gain antenna that is aimed level with the ground
for long distance terrestrial or earth-moon-earth communication.  I
imagine that there may be an interference problem for some distance
along the bore site of the antenna.

   Hope this helps,

           Ron T.   VE5EX