[CS-FSLUG] Wireless, smb and Windows

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 17:13:50 CST 2005

After some frustrated experimentation I found out that there was an option
on the router to block pings from inside the wan, I chose that option and
had the router restart and since then the problems have disappeared.

I honestly don't know what was causing trouble with that, I frequently check
the router logs to see if anyone else has tried to get free wireless
internet access from me, but so far it looks like my somewhat secure and
hidden low power network isn't half as attractive as the unprotected
wireless business networks which cover several blocks. Without any recorded
intrusions, and quite frankly no reason to believe that there would be such,
I'm now satisfied that the problem is solved.

I'm also very happy that I can now stream music from my desktop to my laptop
and vice versa, I can copy big files between the two without interruption
again, I can download Linux iso's without using BitTorrent again, and I can
listen to internet radio and watch Apple keynotes again :-) .

PS.
Port 7 is echo correct?
What port is used for ping?
Would there be any consequences to blocking those ports?
Any other ports I should consider closing off from the internet?

Just out of curiosity, how many open wireless access points can you reach
from your homes? From my basement bedroom I can get 3, from upstairs I've
been able to see as many as 7 or 8. Most of them were ad-hoc, most of them
also appeared to be business networks based on the names of the routers or
computers. There were none called Linksys as far as I can remember ;-) .