[CS-FSLUG] Wireless, smb and Windows

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 23:21:40 CST 2005

Hello list folk.

I don't know if I've complained about this already, but Windows doesn't want
to play nice over my wireless connection. To be honest I don't know which is
to blame exactly, I suspected the router at first since one of my favourite
internet radio stations hasn't played nicely since I got the thing, but
since then I've found that other internet radio stations did work nicely so
now I'm skeptical that the problem lies there. I now suspect that the
problem may be something in Windows, the network cuts out for a few seconds
after a consistent amount of time, it was either 40 or 80 seconds iirc, when
I'm copying something from my desktop to my laptop.

I was hoping I could get some advice on how to diagnose the problem, I
suspect playing with ping and trying alternative methods of connection could
work, but I thought it best to ask for help before I start flooding the
internet with the type of packets that are usually associated with DoS
attacks ;-) .If it helps I have a D-Link Dl-524 802.11G router, my desktop
plugs in to the router thought a cat 5 cable by a Realtek RTL-8139 based NIC
and my laptop connects wirelessly via a built in Atheros AR5005GS
(802.11Gcapable) wireless network adapter.

I really don't know that much about wireless, but I've toned down the
antenna power on my router so it isn't very accessible in the far corners of
the house never mind outdoors, therefore I doubt that someone has managed to
get into my network; however if there was already someone else using the
same channel as me for their network (as I recall the choices range from one
to six) is it possible that might be causing problems?