[CS-FSLUG] Church webhosting

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 17:43:26 CST 2005

On 11/11/05, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:

> My requests is: Is there someone here who can provide/point me to a
> provider who can do this free/cheaply? I'm ready to learn as much admin as
> necessary, but I'll need help at first, since I'm no part of a
> webmaster. I'm prepared to learn admin for any software you want to offer:
> PHP, CGI, Java, etc. I've searched to see what FOSS apps are available, and
> many have said PHP is the hardest to secure, so I'm flexible. I'm asking
> because I have serious doubts the church IT is prepared to handle this sort
> of thing (it's handled by a donor provider, a member of the church).

Have you looked at Zope?

http://www.zope.org/

Also, Zettai.net <http://Zettai.net> offers very affordable Zope-hosting:

http://www.zettai.net/

Zope has built-in support for unlimited numbers of users (with password
based access), user groups, ACLs, etc. And everything can be created and
manage from within a web browser, both at the admin and the non-admin level
-- web based site creation and management was a key concept in the design of
the Zope2 system. All of the pages, images, and everything else on a zope
site are normally stored in the "Z Object Database" that comes as part of
Zope. There is a cool "undo" and "redo" feature too so that if a user with
object-creation permissions messes something up, the mistake can be easily
"undone." Zope is not just an application server, it also runs as a
stand-alone web server; it can easily be coupled to an existing Apache (or
IIS or whatever) as well. And if you have serious security concerns, you can
always put a Zope server "behind" an Apache (or IIS or whatever) server
which implements SSL.

Zope is FOSS, and there is a fairly accessible Zope Manual:

The Zope Book

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/

For really complex projects, many people find Zope to be unwieldy as the
"internals" don't seem to promote good code reuse, have a steep learning
curve, and many of the frameworks seem "over-engineered," and it's often
simpler to use something like PHP or Ruby-on-Rails or TurboGears. Zope3 is
supposed to help fix those problems; though the learning curve will still be
steep, it will be more than well worth it.

But for many small and medium-sized projects, you may find Zope2 to be the
perfect fit. If you want to try it for free, take a look at . . .

http://www.freezope.org/

You wouldn't be able to use that free service for your project, but it might
give you some idea of what Zope is and how it works.

Also, Plone is a powerful CMS built on top of Zope2. Plone is also FOSS:

http://www.plone.org/

May Our Lord bless you in your efforts!

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
[Jesus said] Tell aching mankind to snuggle close
to My merciful Heart, and I will fill it with peace.

My home on the Net ::
http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/

IC XC NIKA