[CS-FSLUG] Question About Windows Design

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 23:18:23 CST 2005

On 11/9/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

In general, if I'm simply copying or pasting text I'll take X's
> copy/paste mechanism (almost) any day of the week. However, it seems
> to fall apart when dealing with stuff like image data. To me, to
> change this wouldn't necessarily require deeper ties into the OS -
> although you might need to change the X protocol to get such changes
> made.

I look forward to when those changes are made.

Right now some underlying parts of Linux are lagging behind, clipboard
functionality is one of them although fortunately for me KDE seems to have
much of that covered.

Interestingly enough there isn't a whole lot being invested in fixing those
issues, in fact most people don't even mention such things. I think the
clipboard system, printing system and a few other parts need to be updated a
little. My main issue with the printing system resides in the fact that
non-kde apps don't seem to have any double sided printing function, and apps
like FireFox don't seem to be able to recognize individual printers in the
print dialog but instead display a command such as "lpr ..." for the user to
edit manually if they want to specify the printer.