[CS-FSLUG] Philosophical Debate

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Wed Nov 9 20:40:33 CST 2005

On 11/08/2005 10:05:32 PM, Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
> Nathan T. wrote:

> of >>>>faith. I understand "narrow is the path" following Jesus, and
> the >>>>logic of that suits me. To find that in FOSS is comfortable
> and >>>>comforting. MS Windows is an example of what accommodation
> looks >>>>like, in my mind. It results in a hellish dependency and
[snip]
> > If you're Christian convictions are telling you not to be enslaved
> > by unreasonable binding terms then I could see why you would feel
> > this way, I don't think God intended for us to be servants to a
> > EULA either ;-)
>
> Just to add something to the soup:
>
> God calls us into bondage.  Bondage to him.  It is a great price that
> we are called to pay to follow him.  Only through losing your own
> life....
>
> Only through bondage to him can we know what true freedom really is.

And the root issue, in both cases, is faith (aka trust). Our freedom in
Christ comes from the faith (trust) that He can and will provide for
our needs - Matt. 6:28.

A proprietary license is a company saying "trust me". FOSS takes the
oposite stance. It says I don't trust that same company.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

Enter through the narrow gate... But small is the gate and narrow the
road that leads to life, and only a few find it. -- Matthew 7:13a,14