[CS-FSLUG] A Year Without Windows

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:52:46 CST 2005

On 11/8/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I can get some help with this.
>
> I graduate from high school in June next year, I'll finally be free :-D
>
> I shouldn't *need* Windows any more at that point, I should be able to get
> rid of it, but bad experiences trying to get Linux to run on my laptop are
> keeping me from trying that again even now that there are new releases
> about.
>
> Is there any helpful advice that might encourage me to try it again
> sometime? The hardware is supported well enough except for the touch pad
> which was good in SUSE 10.0, but not so in Ubuntu, and of power management
> didn't even work under SUSE 10.0.
>
> I want to know that if I put Linux on that thing it will scale the power
> consumption just as well as Windows does if not better and that it will
> hibernate when the laptop is closed and come back to life when the thing is
> opened back up again. Windows could do this for a while, I want Linux to be
> able to as well.

Does the power management work under Ubuntu?  Also, did you try
getting help with the SUSE power management from the SUSE list?  I
just want to rule out the need to do some tweaking to make the power
management work.  If it doesn't work, is that a show stopper?  I mean,
I'm able to live with certain minor issues, even if I wouldn't have to
under Windows.  Your statement sounds as if Windows didn't handle it
well for long. If that's the case, you will not have lost much.  I'm
not real knowledgeable about the power management features,
personally.  I honestly never paid them much attention.

I did have to go without my PDA for a while.  Now that I have it up
and running, I take advantage of it more.  It's way outdated, but
still useful for basic tasks.  That's the main thing.  Ubuntu made it
work flawlessly out of the box, whereas SUSE 9.2 didn't.  SUSE 10.0
works out of the box.  Point is, I was willing to make a short-term
sacrifice for the long-term gain - namely freedom.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/