[CS-FSLUG] Novell switching to Gnome

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 23:06:04 CST 2005

On 11/7/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I don't like is that Novell said they wouldn't be messing with SUSE,
> and now they are.
>
>  KDE has more users than Gnome, I hate to sound overly partial but that's
> because KDE is more sophisticated and all it's parts are better integrated.
> Overall KDE is in most cases a better desktop for a professional or home
> setting (if the user likes it) than Gnome is. That said Gnome seems to
> appeal more to people who preffer a simpler desktop environment and don't
> care that much about asthetics or advanced options.
>
>  Despite this there is some good news, Mark Shuttleworth is supposed to
> start putting more into Kubuntu, I look forward to seeing what the outcome
> is. http://www.kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-commitment.php

Personally, the educational apps included with KDE are one of its key
advantages for home users - or even educational users, for that
matter.
I was a big fan of GNOME 1.4.  However, in the time it took me to
upgrade to SUSE 9.2 (from 8.0), GNOME underwent some changes that I
don't care for.  I have since taken up XFce as my favorite, but have
been using KDE regularly in my new SUSE 10.0 installation.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/