[CS-FSLUG] Chinese Halloween with Intel

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 01:06:35 CST 2005

On 11/4/05, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really believe this one is interesting.
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/46808/index.html
>
> The fact that Intel is so interested in offering GNU/Linux PCs to
> rural, mostly low-income Chinese, but won't sell them here in the US
> to help our own low-income people in the US is kind of disturbing.

Consider that the Chinese government sponsored the development of Red
Flag Linux.  The desire of the Chinese government is to remain free
from dependence on Western technology is another factor.  Government
assistance combined with government pressure can be fairly strong
motivators.

The article notes a price of about $350.  That doesn't really sound
out-of-line with the cost of a low-end computer system out here.

David