[CS-FSLUG] Miscreants encrypt files, hold them for ransom...MickySoft systems!

JD Runyan Lists at RunyanRants.Net
Tue May 24 15:29:39 CDT 2005

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> "In a new type of online attack, extortionists remotely encrypt user files and
> then demand money for the key to decode the information."
>
> "Researchers at Symantec have seen the malicious program used in the ransom
> attack. The "Trojan.Pgpcoder" searches a victim's hard disk drive for 15
> common file types, including images and Microsoft Office file types. It then
> encrypts the files, removes the originals and drops a note asking $200 for
> the encryption key, Friedrichs said."
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5718678.html?tag=nl.e589

Do regular backups,  and this isn't a very good attack. I would probably
lead the dope on, and see if he could be tracked though.

--
"Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel."
--Yogi Bera