[CS-FSLUG] Sydney Morning Herald: Cuba to Dump Windows for Linux

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri May 20 19:32:12 CDT 2005

On 5/20/05, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/20/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/20/05, Don Parris <evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org> wrote:

<SNIP>

> > Well, if they downloaded a whole pile of security updates for the
> > product off SuSE-operated servers, it could be that SuSE in fact lost
> > money as a result of them.
> >
> That depends on your business model and webhosting rates.  I think
> it's possible to provide software while focusing on other services for
> the income.  Mind you, that means taking into account your programmers
> when costing the services.

Quick check reveals Novell has seen a 5.50% growth in revenue:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=NOVL

Understanding that they do still engage in other services and
proprietary software, we know that a good chunk of their income now
comes from SUSE-related business.  If libre software hurts the
free-market, I'd love to see how that's so.  The Peruvian Congressman,
Nunez, offers his view on the freemarket aspect of libre software:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/05/19/ms_in_peruvian_opensource_nightmare/

This letter should be well-known by now, and has been prominently
linked by all of the major LOSS sites.  Frankly, it's a more eloquent
way of stating what I've said here.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist