[CS-FSLUG] GNOME dev breaking off

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed May 18 19:46:17 CDT 2005

On Sunday 01 May 2005 06:42, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Link sent by a friend: A GNOME developer has lost interest. Seems his
> main complaint is the proliferation of toolkits and too long daliance
> with C as the basic language. I'm not sure what to make of his comment
> that bloat is just not an issue.

Then he doesn't know what he's on about. Samba is written in C,
deliberately, and Samba4 was (is) being rewritten in C, deliberately.
Think of C as a kind of portable assembly language. C skips a lot of the
bloat of C++ and allies, and with the use of tools like talloc you can win
back most of the object-orientation benefits without reimporting the
bloat.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia