[CS-FSLUG] OT: Is Microsoft considering acquisition of Red Hat?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue May 17 08:53:51 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 1:08 am, Nathan T. wrote:
> I don't think Red Hat is in much of a position to take the desktop
> Linux market, they are more workstation oriented. If you want to see
> what I mean try using something like Lycoris or Ark, keeping in mind
> that Ark and Lycoris haven't yet had the funding of Red Hat and Ark is
> still in need of some serious debugging but when they have properly
> matured they will be much better.
>
> By the time a mass migration to Linux happens I think distributions
> like Ark, Lycoris, Ubuntu and many of the other smaller ones will gain
> a lot while Mandrake, Red Hat and SUSE will for the most part only get
> the commercial customers. Thats just my opinion though.

True.......opinion is like fannies...we all have them. ;) And, my opinion is
worth any more, but I do disagree. SUSE IS gaining VERY FAST on the desktop
market. In fact, I have no doubt that it is #1 and if not, will be soon.
Novell is in a very good position to cover the server, workstation, and
desktop markets.

Fred

--
             "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"
 Brought to you by the US Department of Homeland Security