[CS-FSLUG] Priests Can Date but Not Marry

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue May 17 07:24:54 CDT 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, 'Mash wrote:

> Just out of interest, does anyone know where the bible stands on
> marriage and the priest hood or even church leadership?
> Where did this rule come from ?
>
> I am glad that we now live under grace, I have such a heart to go into
> leadership, teaching in the future but would definitely love a family too !

It was rather early in Church History the idea was picked up from
outside religions that sex was inherently sinful. There are several
pagan Eastern Cults that still see it that way. It was absorbed because
of a misreading of Paul's suggestion that marriage might hinder mission
work. He didn't say it was holy or unholy, only as a practical matter.

Ed Hurst