[CS-FSLUG] Interesting Article In FSM

Christopher Rose kf6snj at lycos.com
Mon May 9 00:23:53 CDT 2005

Don,
I have to agree with you. I recently was given a win98 computer in which the hard drive is virtually corrupted. Nearly 75% of the uninstallers do not work right (if at all). Half of the software (including MS-Office) will not start. This drive constantly wants to boot in "safe-mode", even when shut down properly. Somehow, I think that whoever wrote the proprietary code for the installed software either did not realize what they were doing or had intentionally created some malevolent code just to bog down and otherwise harm the system. As it stands, the drive is practically useless unless I reformat it. However, since it is only a 1.5GB unit, I may not bother. I have thought about install BasicLinux on it, or perhaps something that can liveboot and has an installer if you so choose to do so. Realistically, I may just consider trying Unix on this drive, just for fun.

Pax,
Christopher Rose