[CS-FSLUG] Any abandoned copies of Windows XP

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun May 1 13:31:52 CDT 2005

> I did give that some additional thought after I posted.  I received
> WinNT 4.0 with the computers donated to our ministry.  I might have
> been a bit rash just now.  Oh well.  Live and learn.   Nevertheless, I
> don't like the fact that, if I choose to upgrade my software, but not
> my hardware, I cannot even give away the current OEM version, due to
> the license.  I think it's pretty stupid.  But that's just my opinion.

	Well, if you upgraded, you can't give away just part of the OEM
software even if the OEM software didn't restrict itself to going along
with the computer. An upgrade license is not a full license (hence the
price). So, even though I had a non-restrictive OEM license of Windows
3.1, I could not give it away so long as I was still depending on that
license for my use of Windows 95 Upgrade.

	As a side note, I'd remark that most OEM license originating from
places other than major OEM's are not tied to specific hardware last I
checked. For instance, you can go on NewEgg and buy an OEM copy of
Windows so long as you buy *some kind* of hardware with it. My copy of
Windows 3.1 came bundled straight from the Z-Nix mouse company -- the
mouse was the hardware to which it was tied.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats