[CS-FSLUG] License Question

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 01:13:30 CST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:58:56 -0500, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:24:03 -0500, K Montgomery <keltik at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> > Don Parris wrote:
> >
> > >I designed a database back-end for managing security officers' logs.
> > >Call it WatchMan (Watch Manager).  I would like to use the back-end
> > >design at work, but know that MS Access is what will be used.
> > >Creating this database at work will give me an opportunity to solve a
> > >real-world problem in a real-world business setting (something noone
> > >seems keen on giving me the chance to do thus far).  My boss is sold
> > >on the idea, but the office is a serious Windows shop.
> > >
> > >While I prefer the GPL, it would almost certainly preclude the use of
> > >Access for a front-end, as far as I know (the result would be a
> > >derivative work, no?).  Should I use the modified BSD license that is
> > >GPL-compatible?  I think that would allow me to use Access while
> > >keeping the back-end design free/open.  I look forward to your input.
> > >
> > >Don
> > >

> > I don't know if my experience is the same as yours, but I once developed
> > a MySQL database for a work project where the intent was to use Access
> > as the front-end.  I wanted to freely distribute the resulting system
> > (front end Access files and back end MySQL files), but my concern was
> > whether I had the right to distribute the the database file created by
> > MS Access.
> >
> > After reading the EULA for Access, my understanding was that I retained
> > the rights to any files created with it.  However, I'd advise reviewing
> > the EULA yourself to be sure (it was a while ago that I read it).
> >
> > Do you intend to distribute a system in the way that I did?  Or is your
> > question only whether you can *use* Access as a front end?  I didn't
> > think licensing had any bearing on the latter.
> >
> > - Kathy

O.k., let's narrow this down a bit.  I think I can word my question
better now.  What's the difference between the design (as in some
basic documentation defining the layout, etc.) and the actual code? In
other words, if the same design can be implemented in both, a
proprietary and a free software application, then there's no danger of
me crossing paths with my employer.

I assume this is where patents weigh in.  If I don't believe in
patenting software, then that leaves it up to my employer as to
whether they want to do so, but then they would be trying to patent
prior art, since the design was something I already created at home.
Thus, I should be able to release two completely different
implementations of the database without violating terms of the GPL, or
losing my own rights to my own design.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist