[CS-FSLUG] Re: Activist Republican Judge Says CA Marriage Law Unconstitutional

timbrown at ichristian.com timbrown at ichristian.com
Sun Mar 20 19:16:26 CST 2005

Well, we know from what Paul wrote in Romans that God put those in authority
over us in the  position they are in. In its context, it's talking about the
rule of law. Since the inception of our country, it has been commonly
accepted that sodomy was wrong. Yet Texas struck down sodomy laws a year
back or so.

I guess my question is, based on the fact that God puts people in power to
make laws and thus control wrong behavior, is it not only logical to EXPECT
laws based on some form of morality?

Besides -- the laws, as far as I know, don't say it is 'sin', they say it is
unacceptable in our culture...specifically that "a marriage is a union
between a man and a woman". That is not a reference to religion per se.

I suppose my most pointed question would be if it's not the government's job
to 'convict of sin' why can't we go to the logical conclusion that they have
no right to speak on other things that are sin...such as murder?

(This isn't aimed at you, Aaron) It's funny; all these activists want the 10
commandments out of the public arena...yet they don't want the crime that
the 10 commandments condemn...such as murder and theft. It's not ok to
murder but you can't say "Thou Shalt Not Kill".

Twisted thinking.

Anyway Aaron, Let's remove same-sex marriage from the mix. Replace it with
the word 'murder'. Would you use the same argument? The Ten Commandments
were put in force by God to show the sinfulness of the human heart and the
need for the Savior. If we dump the 10 Commandments from the public arena,
we nullify one more thing that the Spirit uses to convict of sin!

What of the government deciding to use another standard? They already
are...it's called moral relativism.

Don't misread what I'm saying, I'm not attacking you one bit. Just trying to
express myself and not incredibly good at it. :)

Blessings,

Tim

Aaron Lehmann writes:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 06:58:39PM -0500, Alvin Smith wrote:
>> On Sunday 20 March 2005 05:22 pm, Brian Derr wrote:
>> > Rather than wasting our time making laws that drive the lost away from
>> > the Word lets befriend them and show them the love of Jesus.  After all
>> > it is what Jesus would have done.
>>
>> Really?  Based on what scripture?
>>
>> It is after all the moral law of the 10 commandments that shows a man that he
>> is in sin.  Without that law how would a man know that he is a sinner?  What
>> would be the point of "showing the love of Jesus" to someone who does not
>> need a Saviour in their mind?
>>
>> Whether a nation's government passes moral laws is immaterial to the believer.
>> He still has to show a sinner that sin is very sinful by showing him the Law
>> of a Holy God in order for him to see the true love and sacrifice of Christ.
>>
>> Otherwise there is no repentance, and no conversion.
>
> True.  But do you believe it is the government's place to be convicting
> people of sin?  And if so, what if at some future point the government
> chooses a different definition of sin than what's in the Bible?
>
> Aaron Lehmann

10 out of 10 people die.
http://www.needgod.com
http://home.insightbb.com/~tjbrown527/