[CS-FSLUG] Re: Flash drives

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Tue Mar 15 16:30:28 CST 2005

[for the thread:  start 3/4 of the way down, read the comment after that
one about 7/8 the way down, then the one 1/2 way down, and then the one
just below this comment (1/4 the way down), and then this comment (oops,
you already read this?  Start over again following the instructions.)
and then the bottom post.  This is what happens with a mix of top and
bottom posting!]

timbrown at ichristian.com wrote:
> Hi Phil:
>
> Yes, that's what I'm thinking...I did a full Suse 9.2 install and I
> think it was just over 5 gigabytes in size. Seems to me that I can get
> an 8gb pen drive and it should work ok...just keep your data on HD or
> another pen drive.
> Thanks (to all of you) for your info.
[snip]
>> If I remember correctly, ars technica once tried to set up multiple
>> pen drives in a RAID configuration...  Sorry for not providing links,
>> but I think it should be easy to google for if someone's interested.
[snip]
>>> There are gazillions of Knoppix-alikes which are aimed directly at
>>> memory sticks, including Mandrake Move.
>>> Cheers; Leon

One thing you might want to think about, depending on the amount of use
you are going to put into this, is that flash drives have a finite
number of write cycles.  You probably want to mount it read-only and
have the writeable stuff in memory or on the HD.  We have set up a
Wireless router off of Pebble Linux this way.  It also means you don't
have any problems with a hard power down.

sjm