[CS-FSLUG] Dumb but intriguing question....

Phil Crissman phil.crissman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:30:22 CST 2005

FlashLinux is another alternative.

You may also find that it depends on the PC's motherboard; some bioses
may not support a USB device as the initial boot device. Many do,
however, though I haven't personally tried to do this yet.

As prices go down and capacities go up with usb pen drives, I bet this
will become an increasingly attractive option.

If I remember correctly, ars technica once tried to set up multiple
pen drives in a RAID configuration...  Sorry for not providing links,
but I think it should be easy to google for if someone's interested.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:03:18 +0800, Leon Brooks
<xtiansrc at leon.brooks.fdns.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 13 March 2005 01:10, timbrown at ichristian.com wrote:
> > Just wondering if there is any way that someone could get Linux to
> > boot up from a USB device...such as an 8Gb pen memory device...Then
> > just use your HD for data storage...or another USB device?
>
> There are gazillions of Knoppix-alikes which are aimed directly at
> memory sticks, including Mandrake Move.
>
> Cheers; Leon

Phil
--