[CS-FSLUG] Linux/Samba for a church office

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Mar 11 10:12:26 CST 2005

Hi,
I have set up Linux as a server for about 20 mission organizations, and it tends
to work fairly well.

The primary complaint with using windows as a domain server has to do with the
complexity of the difference between Linux file permissions and Windows file and
user/group permissions.  To do things right you need to use "winbind" (type "net
grouplist help" at the command-prompt or look at the "groupmapping.html" file in
the samba documentation.   It also helps to know about the smbcacls stuff.  Webmin
can help out with the complexity of the user/group mappings if you tie them
together (under the samba tools somewhere)

My favorite backup tool is "backupedge" by Microlite.  It has the simplest
recovery solution that I have found.  You can walk a church secretary through a
recovery over the phone.  (If you are not going to be there all the time, this is
a good feature)

Blessings,

    - Tim Young