[CS-FSLUG] New toys

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Mar 10 20:42:06 CST 2005

I really thought I had it made with my external modem (and blinky
lights!). I've used it the past couple of years, but today I got my
hands on something I'd never seen before. Dell used to have a deal with
3Com to make special OEM modems not sold retail. It's a full hardware
modem, but an oddball. For a few years, folks couldn't get it
recognized in FreeBSD, but they must have fixed that. This sucker
takes longer to connect, makes a lot more noise, and gives me
faster connection.

I guess that's helping make me a fan of 3Com modems. The laptop my
sister gave me -- an old Gateway Solo 2500 -- included a 3Com PCcard
modem. I just got it working for the first time since I've had the
thing. It's running FreeBSD 4.11 right now.  That one also connects a
little bit better than it did using the external modem.

I knew Winmodems were pretty slow in FOSS, but never realize there was
that much variance between hardware modems.

Ed Hurst