[CS-FSLUG] more help - secure e-mail data?

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 22:23:52 CST 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:07:22 -0600, R. Thompson <ron.t at sasktel.net> wrote:

> > "R. Thompson" <ron.t at sasktel.net> wrote:
> >
> > > What should they be looking for, is there such a thing as
> > > encrypted or secure e-mail?

There is - aside from pgp type encryption, your budget would come into
play.  There are methods of hardware encryption that would fit between
the "computer" and the modem/router/communication device.  But that
kind of technology may not be exportable.  I'm not sure at what level
the encryption can be used in multi-country travel, and I'm not sure
what your specs are if it's originating from Canada.  You may want to
look at companies like Motorola and see what they have for the
civilian sector.  Aside from encryption, you would want a way to
perform a checksum of the data, in the event of corruption, either
intended or accidental.

> > I would ask how you would protect the info if the lappy fell into ..
> > someones hands you didn't want to see the data?

There are USB security "dongles" or keys that will encrypt the drive
contents unless the key is inserted and either a pin or password is
entered (depending on model), but again, they do get pricey.

> > Users are not going to set their email so they have to enter their
> > password every time.

I agree - but there are ways to encrypt without having to use a
password each and everytime.  It's a shame that being able to really
secure transmitted data can be so expensive, but if you consider the
majority of encryption is developed for government/military use,
(which when it comes to that kind of tech, the budget is nearly
unlimited) again, the cost gets pushed down to the consumer.

Brad