[CS-FSLUG] NI: Comparing security on Windows and Linux

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Jun 30 22:42:28 CDT 2005

"A more objective method of rating security is to track the number of bug
fixes issued for a particular software suite. When compared to Linux, Windows
appears to be more prone to flaws by this measure. Recent U.S. Computer
Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) vulnerability metrics reported 250 episodes
for Microsoft Windows, 39 of these having a severity rating of 40 or greater.
With Red Hat Linux there were only 46 episodes, of which only with only 3
scored over 40. There are thousands of reports that compare the two operating
systems but reports like this by an independent government body, on the
relative number of critical flaws between them, should be given greatest
consideration.

There are good reasons for this difference in security. For instance, Linux's
open source methodology of software development helps to expose errors more
easily. This is an advantage Windows doesn't possess. Another disadvantage
with Windows is that many of its core applications rely on the use of remote
procedure calls (RPC), a method of inter-computer communication that
unpredictably and dynamically assigns communications channels. This forces
firewall rules to be less rigid than they need to be in comparison with
operating systems like Linux that limit the use of RPC."

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1102680,00.html?track=NL-301&ad=521552USCA

to you, at this time.