[CS-FSLUG] NI: Study Shows Windows Beats Linux on Security

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 11:47:06 CDT 2005

On 6/29/05, "‡ø®a Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar)" <survivor at brisnet.org> wrote:
> Anonymous Reader writes "Linuxlookup.com is reporting Wipro surveyed 90
> companies in the U.S. and Western Europe with 2,500 to 113,000 employees
> where both the Windows and open source operating systems were
> simultaneously being run. The outcome: Windows beats Linux in Security.
> "We already know how to secure a Windows-based solution and keep it
> running smoothly," says Stephen Shaffer, the airline's director of
> software systems. "With Linux, we had to rely on consultants to tell us
> if our system was secure. With Windows, we can depend on Microsoft to
> inform us of and provide any necessary updates.""
>
> http://newsvac.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/28/1436216

Just reading this intro is enough to tell me the bottom line.  About
the only reason to read the article is for the sheer entertainment
value.  What a freakin' joke - rely on Microsoft? For security
updates?  You gotta be kidding, right?  To me, the sad thing is, not
only do we no longer do our own thinking, we rely on a company like
Msft to do it for us.

It's kind of like the folks who rely on the preacher to do their
interpretation for them.  It's great to hear a good sermon, but I
prefer to try to understand as much on my own as I can.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/