[CS-FSLUG] Would someone take pity on me?

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 27 18:51:54 CDT 2005

At 07:08 PM 6/27/05, Ruth Marlene Friesen wrote:

>On June 25, 2005 11:25 pm, Nathan T. wrote:
> > The server alternative is expensive, but if you happen to get an older
> > computer you don't think is good for much and you have some spare hard
> > drives around, consider putting a light Linux distribution on it.
> > After that you just need to set up your /etc/hosts.allow and
> > /etc/hosts.deny files to block anything that isn't coming from inside
> > the network, then just disable unnecessary services ("daemons") and
> > you're set. Setting up network servers should be fairly
> > straightforward with a distribution like SUSE which was designed with
> > that kind of thing in mind.
> >
>Ohmm. Sounds so simple. You're sure it's that easy? I do have a SuSE live CD
>I'd burned, but I've considered getting the full works. Would it work with
>Mandrake 9.1?

Are we talking about SAMBA here?  I've setup Samba on MDK 9.1 - I seem to
recall it was as simple as installing the samba-server package, then
tickering with smb.conf file.  The conf file even has an option
functionally equivalent to hosts.allow and hosts.deny files.  The
"tinkering" part might not have been trivial and I no longer have the
original on my system, but if were to send the original (privately) I could
do a diff to find out what I changed there.