[CS-FSLUG] NI: RSS: Death knell to Atom? Birth of an 'open' era for Microsoft?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Jun 27 11:10:20 CDT 2005

"In the bigger picture, I can't help but wonder if there's more than meets the
eye to Microsoft's support of RSS, as well as the extension of RSS to support
ordered lists.   First, to have Microsoft come out and support RSS and not
support the other syndication technology (Atom — yes, I asked Editors Note:
This has changed, see the update below) doesn't bode well for Atom.
Furthermore, members of the Atom community have discussed how Atom is
designed to address subscription scenarios that RSS isn't well equipped to
address.  Well, before today's announcement, RSS was not very well equipped
to subscribe to ordered lists (although you could technically fudge it like I
do with something like del.icio.us and FireFox's Live Bookmarks).   Now, by
virtue of an extension, it is.  Perhaps any extrapolations — like the one
where I'm thinking that RSS can probably be similarly extended to support the
scenarios that only Atom could handle before — would be overly simplistic.
I'm sure that by the end of the day or sometime next week, some part of the
blogosphere will have this issue vetted, dissected, and thoroughly hashed
out."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=1543&tag=nl.e539

to you, at this time.