[CS-FSLUG] Would someone take pity on me?

Ruth Marlene Friesen Bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Sat Jun 25 17:47:37 CDT 2005

On June 25, 2005 01:12 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Ruth Marlene Friesen wrote:
> > K3b keeps saying my driver for cdrdao is missing, and to set it, - but I
> > don't know where.
>
> So cdrdao is missing? Let's do this:
>
>    rpm -qa | grep cdrdao
>
> If the cursor comes back with no response, it's not installed. If it
> gives you a package name and version number, then I don't know what to do.
>
> Assuming the former, you can check your Mandrake CDs one at a time until
> you find the one that has the cdrdao package. As root, from the console,
> just navigate to the package directory on the CD and:
>
>    rpm -Uvh cdrdao-xxxx.rpm
>
> If it installs, you can then try K3B again.

Thank you ever so much Ed and Timothy!
I thought I had installed this cdrdao last weekend when K3b asked for it, but
yes, when I keyed in that first command at the konsole (root) I got;
cdrdao-1.1.7-1mdk

So I went to Mandrake's softeware manager, and found it near the top of the
list of packages, and installed quickly. Then K3b had no problem doing the
backup and I've been able to confirm the files are really there.

But now I have a few more questions.
1. Do you mount a blank CD before burning it? I forgot this last time and I
wonder if that made a difference.

2. Do you erase a blank CD before each burn? K3b asked, so I said yes.

3. How do you eject a CD to switch to another, when you've unmounted, and you
keep getting the message that the dev is busy? Nothing is even looking at it,
but I can't open the drive. I tried "eject" as a command and the plain CD rom
drive opened.

Thanks again ever so much, gentlemen, you have made my day!

--

Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth Marlene Friesen

When you meet Ruthe and her Friend -
You've got Friends! http://www.Ruthes-SecretRoses.com
                       \o/
P.S. Buy it & it's on its way to you within 48 hours!
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RSR.html
or as e-book to download right away -
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/rsr/Intro.html