[CS-FSLUG] Possible Ministry with Local Church

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Thu Jun 23 14:02:18 CDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:58:45 -0700
David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:

> So what exactly does such a position entail?

Well, I would be the System Administrator and webmaster.  I would also
responsible for developing an educational ministry.  It turns out the
secretary knows a fair bit about computers, and even used GNU/Linux on her
job in the past (it's been a while though).  She is well aware of the
license compliance issues- her employer was fined $40,000 for improperly
licensed software.

I had a Microsoft moment though.  I had just logged into GNOME so they could
compare it to KDE.  I kept getting error messages and finally wound up using
[Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Backsp] to back out.  but my system won't necessarily bring me
back to a boot prompt at such times, leaving me a blank screen and no
control.  I wound up rebooting.  Ouch!  Otherwise, it went very well.

I will likely do a second presentation for a larger audience soon.  I think
they were comfortable with my vision for a slow migration to a libre
software platform.  I did not have time to get into the details of libre
software.  But I think they got the general gist.  I think they also liked
my vision for the computer ministry to be largely self-sustaining.  Funds
from classes would make up the IT budget.

I hope to learn more about their thinking in the next couple of weeks.

Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/                   http://chaddb.sourceforge.net/