[CS-FSLUG] Possible Ministry with Local Church

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 00:42:00 CDT 2005

I will be meeting with the pastor and a secretary later today
(Thursday) about a position as Minster of Information Technology.
There will not likely be much in the way of money involved, but it
would be a responsibility for a sizable congregation.  As part of the
discussion, I'll have my SUSE box on hand, and will pitch FLOSS as the
ideal environment.

This is the church I came out of to plant Matheteuo (Oakdale).  They
did have around a hundred people or so at the time I left.  I left on
good terms, so I believe it will go well.  If this happens, I will
have the opportunity to lead the church through a real migration.  I'm
sure I will learn a great deal in the process.

As a side note, I am now tinkering with Python as a front-end to
CHADDB.  For Tim Young's sake, the current effort is a console-based
app that should work well with low-end systems in the mission fields.
The menu system is in place, and I'm working on some SQL scripts to
pull up basic reports.  I've already got the membership roster by
envelope # and a basic phone list in place.  I've just had a guy on
the Python tutor list suggest he may be able/willing in the future to
provide some real assistance with the project.  Anyway, once I grasp
the basics, I'll try to move up into the GUI front-end.

Blessings,
Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist