[CS-FSLUG] Petition for broadband

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Jun 21 17:19:38 CDT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Bob Brown wrote:

> This is heading off topic, but there is another possible option for
> sending broadband over gas lines.

The only gas lines out here are for gas well output.

> Here is an old article from the BBC about getting broadband in rural areas.
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2012903.stm

Good article. I'll look to see if there's something similar for the US.

> Satellite could be an option, and so would wireless. I am considering
> clearwire.com myself, but it isn't everywhere.

Two-way satellite is over $200 (US) per month. The other version is
phone-line up, satellite signal down. Last time I checked, the vendors
out here only do Windows. Wireless signals stop about 3 miles short of
my location. Even then, I'd have to get someone to climb the tower in
my yard to plan the antenna to make it work over trees.

Ed Hurst