[CS-FSLUG] The new enlightenment

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Jun 14 08:45:54 CDT 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:04:52 +0100, 'Mash <re.mash at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have started moving further and further away from bells and
> whistles and back to the UNIX philosophy of good tools. To the point
> that I am starting to get into Emacs properly and will probably start
> using it for my mail and news. I like the keyboard shortcuts and I
> still love white text on a black terminal window. It is functional
> ridiculously quick and tends to give you only what you really need.
>
> Throw those mice away and start using your fingers again. joy !

There's a lot of that going around these days. While I cannot share your
enthusiasm for Emacs, I can empathize with simplicity and power. After
getting the Presario laptop all revved up and running quick and smooth
with SUSE 9.2, I found the lack of reliablity (it's a cheap laptop; SUSE
works fine) too irritating. I'm back to running the old Gateway Solo with
FreeBSD 4.11, IceWM, and only Opera for graphical browsing (opens much
more quickly on old hardware). Even though I'm stuck with 800x600, this is
much more preferable because the machine and OS work too smoothly
together. An old reliable machine is better for me than a flashy new one
that has too many hiccups.

It's this sense of contentment with power over style that drives my
interest in a console distro of Linux. John-Thomas and I are supposed to
be working on a project for that, but we only have one developer last time
I checked. I'd be willing even to dump the GUI completely if we could get
a strong console desktop such as might have been found on DOS in the old
days. (No, I'm not pining for DOS, but for the simplicity.)

--
Ed Hurst