[CS-FSLUG] iBook sales phone/email

Steve McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Thu Jul 28 15:34:27 CDT 2005

Nathan T. wrote:
> I just got an e-mail back from support at apple.com apparently they don't
> do any e-mail communication there as the automatic-response said, and
> I hate going through the phone.

I can understand your plight, but I think it would behoove you to learn
to talk on the phone well.  I will always come in handy when you
graduate and get a job.  I can also understand that sales will usually
want to do everything over the phone.  Think of how well people can
communicate comparing face to face communication with phone
conversations with email.  Obviously face to face is best because you
can read the person's body language, hear the inflections in their
voice, see their smile (or lack thereof), etc.  Phone conversation has
all these elements except for the visual.  With email you even lose the
inflections in voice and such.  Also, email is very, very, (did I say
*very*) slow when trying to resolve an issue.  Over the phone one can
easily ask for clarification if one doesn't understand and ask more
questions to try to better understand what the person really wants (it's
not always clear.)  A 15 minute phone conversation could easily take
*days* when conducted over email.

I would highly suggest, especially for a purchase that you think is so
important that you're asking for advice on it, that you take the extra
effort and actually call.

> I'm thinking right about now maybe Lintel is my best option, I'm going
> to keep my eyes open for a laptop that will work well with Mandrake
> unless someone can give me a good reason why that would be a bad idea,
> such as bad hardware support, shorter battery life or no suspend. I've

I would suggest you read Tim's post again about the remorse that can
come later on basing a decision on one set of facts.  If you are
thinking of making a decision only on price (or only on the fact that
you can't communicate through email), I would think twice on that.

> got a few more days in which Apple could reply, but so far they
> haven't proved themselves very serious about actually selling anything
> to me. If a company wants my business, it'll let me reach them in a
> way that's convenient to me.

You can decide on this, but are probably reducing your options a lot.  I
would prefer talking on the phone with someone rather than waiting days
for answers to my questions.  I always find that some answers provoke
other questions and without the ability to hear inflections and such
there is a higher probability for misunderstanding (we probably have
several examples of this in the archives of this forum).

That said, you can alway go to the support forums or such to find some
information.  I would also (maybe through the tech support section?) see
if they had "chat" which would be in between phone and email communication.

sjm

P.S. I'm not trying to push you one way or the other, but just trying to
help you out with how to get your questions answered in a timely manner.