[CS-FSLUG] I came this close...

Dommy E. Hamid d-e-x at spitfire.net
Wed Jul 27 21:11:43 CDT 2005

Nathan,

Good job for staying in the "light side." I agree that Mandriva
(sheesh.. still cannot get used to the new name for Mandrake) is one of
the best all-in-one distro for beginners. While it looks a lot more
kiddie than Suse or Fedora Core, it is very user-friendly.

As David told you, you should go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to get
additional repositories to improve your experience. Add at least
contrib, plf-free, and plf-nonfree. This will add at least the codecs,
libdvdcss (for region-lock), newer version of xine and mplayer, and
other software you may like such as emulators and bible software such as
gnomesword (although for the bible modules, you need to download it
manually from the sword-project site).

Unfortunately, since open-source moves on at a quite rapid pace, the
software included in Mandriva is not as current as Suse or FC4. If you
want newer version of software built for your Mandriva 2005 LE, you may
want to add additional repository such as MandrakeClub.nl (
http://mandrivaclub.nl/sources/official/2005/ ) or thac's (for newest
KDE, it's found in http://rpm.nyvalls.se/ ). Personally, I haven't
installed Thac's KDE yet, but I have installed tons of software from
mcnl (includes the newest version of java run time) and so far it's all
running smooth.

As far as 2006 is concerned, the first beta has just been released a
couple of days back. The schedule can be found here

http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MandrivaLinux2006

Keep hanging in there :)

Dommy