[CS-FSLUG] I came this close...

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:31:42 CDT 2005

Hello everyone, I'm still here.

For a time I was about this close (with my thumb an index half an inch
from touching) to going back to Windows if Debian didn't work, but as
soon as it was about 90% done downloading MSIE (which I used for
download because for some reason FF gets the wrong file size and goes
nuts) dropped the download and said my HD was full despite the 10 Gb
or so that were still free (Windows is nuts). I decided since I was
going to try at least one more distribution to download Mandrake then
because it's the one I started on, and now that I have a job I think I
could save up for a boxed MDK set.

Anyway so far things have gone great, its eye candy isn't as good as
SUSE's, but it's quicker and more responsive than that which bears the
green lizard. The boot time is longer than Windows XP by a little bit,
but the UI and everything else after that is much faster. Mandrake
still puts together a very nice KDE desktop, I'm going to evaluate it
a little more before I decide to stick with it but so far things are
looking very positive.

All I need now is to get support for Windows codecs and DVD playback,
I think I remember that having something to do with
http://plf.zarb.org but it's been so long that I can't remember if
that's even the right site to get the RPMs from, or which ones to get.
SUSE started acting up on me when I replaced Xine with a different
version from http://packman.links2linux.org and installed the codec
RPMs. If Mandrake survives the installation of the codecs and doesn't
show any nasty bugs then I'll be very happy with it.

Does anyone know when MDK 2006 is due to come out?