[CS-FSLUG] NI: Getting a handle on Windows Vista

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:45:47 CDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> At 07:22 AM 7/27/05, mash. wrote:
>
> >I know a MS developer and beta tester who loves the company, and works
> >incredibly hard for MS. He is also devout Christian and family man who takes
> >incredible pride in his coding. I do know he disagrees with MS policy like
> >the rest of us ...
>

> Then why is he still working there?

I do agree that Fred could take a little more care with his wording.
I think it reflects his attitude.  I'd rather him be blunt & upfront
than act like so many of us Southerners, who always seem to whitewash
things so well.  I don't think Fred owes the world an apology,
however.  Microsoft's upper management is corrupt, and I don't think
anyone should support that at all.  The fact that their employees
continue to follow them suggests that they would rather follow corrupt
leadership than work for an honest company (I'm sure there are still a
few out there).  Those who invest in Microsoft, and those who
license/use their software choose to support corruption.

I don't know how many of you saw the complaint filed with the SEC over
Microsoft's funding of the SCO Group's lawsuits, but it was *very*
detailed.  It appeared someone had done their homework.  How much of
it actually amounts to serious crimes is up for the SEC to determine.
Many of the allegations appeared to be pretty serious.  I won't work
for them myself.  I see Msft's upper management as worthy of Fred's
loathing.  I do think Fred should restrict his comments to the upper
echelons & marketing folks, rather than labelling every employee as
corrupt.

My brother is a fine Christian who works for Microsoft as a technical
writer.  Because we stand on opposite sides of the proprietary fence,
I tend to keep my thoughts to myself.  He'll have to determine whether
he is compromising his morals.  He'll have to answer to God, not me,
for his actions.  I hesitate to badmouth Microsoft to him, because he
is my brother, and because it's very possible that doing so would
drive a wedge between us.  He might mistake my earnest warnings as
signs of jealousy or something.  In reality, it would be like trying
to evangelize my own brother - everyone knows that family is always
hardest.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist