[CS-FSLUG] NI: Getting a handle on Windows Vista

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 01:46:30 CDT 2005

On 7/25/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> "They can also establish folders that will automatically update, such
> as "files edited in the last week" or "documents from Jane."
>
> Mac OS X has this already
>
> "ranging from shiny translucent windows"
>
> What was that 3d Sun Microsystems desktop called again?, it had this.
>
> "to icons that are tiny representations of a document itself"
>
> KDE does this already, Gnome might too

Well, if you include all sorts of "good" features, when your
competitors only implement a subset, then you're ahead (don't know if
that's the case though).

> "Microsoft Allchin said in an April interview that he expects Vista
> will need about 512MB of memory and "today's level" of processor. The
> ability to display all the fancy new graphics will depend on what type
> of graphics card one has."
>
> Last time I read the minimum requirements they were a 3Ghz dual core
> processor and 1 Gb of ram, obviously that has changed a little but I

Were the official minimum requirements actually ever released?  I did
a little googling a day or two ago, and the article that I found then
referenced "sources close to the developers" for this measurement or
something of that sort.  Basically something to be taken with a grain
of salt.  (I think that the dual-core 3Ghz PC might have been
suggested as the average PC, not the minimum although you'd want to
check your sources there).

BTW, http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/Support/lhdevfaq/default.aspx
- msdn.microsoft.com, so it's a relatively official source - suggests
that the current machines that they're running on are far less than
dual-core 3Ghz PCs with 1 gig of RAM

David