[CS-FSLUG] Re: [Foss-cafe] NI: OfB.biz: I GNU It!

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 20:08:04 CDT 2005

On 7/23/05, Timothy R. Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:

> > doesn't do anything I don't explicitly tell it to do. And, if something
> > doesn't work, it's most likely because I haven't configured the config
> > file correctly. Once in a while you get a broken app that needs fixed,
> > but that's not Slackware's fault. So, I now have a Linux system that I
> > can *use* every day to get real things done, and I can tweak on it, if
> > I *want* to.
>
> Doesn't seem like hijacking to me. It was very interesting. Thanks, Jerry. I
> need to give Slackware a spin sometime. I'd probably have found a better Linux
> distro, had it not been that I had a Mac sitting around (see my latest
> article)
> and my temporary usage of it as a stopgap made me a Switcher (I didn't want to
> go back!).

I'm pretty much an XFce guy these days.  It loads faster than KDE or
GNOME, and allows me to configure the panel with whatever apps I use
the most.  On the downside, it seems to lack a general menu system -
something I thought the last version had (but I could be wrong).  So,
in order to use some other app, whose command I don't know, I have to
switch back over to KDE/GNOME.  That's pretty rare though.

I like that KDE comes with a pre-config'd menu.  I don't like that
there are almost always a half-dozen apps that are not categorized
properly.  I do like Konq's pane splitting and tabbing features -
tabbed filesystem browsing is fantastic for me.  However, I rarely use
most of the other features of Konqueror.

I liked the old Nautilus interface (GNOME 1.4).  It had a directory
tree structure in the left pane - an important feature for me.  But I
don't like the new GNOME, compared to the old one - they threw out too
much, IMO.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist