[CS-FSLUG] Do you know about SFD2005.org? You should!

Steve Wetzel steve.wetzel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:17:02 CDT 2005

Oi!

I will be at O'Reilly's  OSCON
(http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/) conference in August where
2,000 attendees will receive a copy of TheOpenCD -
(http://www.theopencd.org/) which FreeSoftwareeeMagazine
(www.freesoftwaremagazine.com) has sponsored this CD distribution.
Don, and others on the list who may know me for selling embedded Linux
Thin Clients... well I am now working for FSM as Dir. of Marketing and
Sales :P

FSM, my local LUG, LugRadio and TheOpenCD (TOCD) are all helping to
support SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY this year on Sept. 10th
(www.softwarefreedomday.org) I hope you and others on this list have
considered getting plugged into this one day global event! People who
form teams as I have will get free CDs from the Ubuntu Foundation for
the event. My teams wiki:
http://maitri.ubuntu.com/softwarefreedomday/wiki/index.php/Cincinnati

In fact the open CD is based on the very latest Ubuntu, and I have
seen it, and it is great for these two reasons:
1) Its a LIVE bootable CD for people to check out Linux - Ubuntu style.
2) Any windows user can take the CD and plop it into their CD tray
while their system is running, and they will get a splash screen that
explains FOSS, and gives them resources, (All of FSM's magazines to
date are on there in pdf format) But what is truly amazing, is that
they can check out FOSS software, and choose to install it on their
systems (at least the win32 versions)

I may have some of these CDs left over for the seminar Don is going
to, and if other people would like to distribute them at their LUGs
(we all are in local LUGs aren't we? ;)

But here is the link for those of you who would like to download the
ISO, and check it out. Even if you don't distribute as part of
SoftwareFreedomDay 2005, or through your local LUG, then why not
others at your church who can't handle the idea of a LIVE CD, but
could run the browser based splash screen that launches and introduces
them to FOSS?

BTW... I have no connection to any of the other groups mentioned
except for the fact that I want to promote the other excellent groups
out there spreading the word about the benefits of FOSS like Don has
done in PitP.

-Stephen Wetzel