[CS-FSLUG] NI: MICROSOFT DENIES OPEN SOURCE COLLABORATION

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 02:32:54 CDT 2005

I didn't hear anything else on this, does this mean we may see MS
Office for Linux?

I don't like most MS products, MS Office is about the only one I'll
tolerate because OO.o isn't entirely compatible with the work I have
to do on the school computers. I can't really think of any other apps
made by MS that pertain to me except for that emulator they bought
which might interest me and of course Visual Studio which I only use
for school and otherwise wouldn't approach with a 10 ft pole.

If MS takes Linux seriously though, there isn't any doubt other
companies will follow suit. I'm hoping to see some better games for
Linux, commercial software to fill niches that aren't filled yet, and
finally some good device drivers for just about every piece of
software which are easy to include with a distribution and install
manually if necessary, and that are licensed such that they can be
included with distributions.

People really don't have an excuse for saying Linux isn't ready for
the desktop now; with distributions like SUSE the only real problem
left is hardware support, and people who are buying computers can work
around that by doing research before actually buying. Some people
using Macs may not agree, but imo Linux is definitely a step up from
Windows XP even if the boot up process isn't multi-threaded yet.