[CS-FSLUG] NI: Longhorn following Unix on security?

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 17:12:25 CDT 2005

On 7/13/05, Chris Brault <groundhog3000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Interesting,
>
> > > This report is old, but contains some info on SQL
> > Server that would scare
> > > the tar out of anyone.  I don't know if Msft has
> > taken the path predicted
> > > in the article (basing the new filesystem on
> > it??), but that would be
> > > seriously scary.
> >
> > It IS seriously scary!! And, yes.....the "new" file
> > system is AT THE CORE of
>
> But wasn't this database filesystem removed as a
> feature from the initial release of Longhorn? If I
> recall correctly, Longhorn's really cool features are
> turning into vaporware as SCO's case against IBM and
> the GPL desintigrates. It was my understanding that
> Longhorn was turning into XP, service pack 3.

Well, I don't know what's happened with their filesystem.  I do know
that what was supposed to be a robust FS did get pulled from Longhorn.
 We could probably assume that was the SQL-based FS.  I will be happy
to see them get their privilege system together (for the sake of the
users), but I still don't think they'll provide enough separation of
users to suit me.

To me, Msft's real challenge, at this point, is themselves.  When you
can't get your own flagship OS out the door, you've got problems.  I
honestly believe they've lost all sense of direction.  It's just that
gut-level feeling.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist