[CS-FSLUG] Luke 22:36 - 22:38

Aaron Lehmann lehmanap at lehmanap.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 13 13:17:56 CDT 2005

I'd like some reasons for these beliefs.  I've no particular stance one
way or another as yet, but it seems like a bit of a jump to assume that
the word as a sword metaphor was already in use.  After all, Jesus spoke
cryptically to the masses, but he explained things to the twelve.  Why
would he be catty and use an unexplained metaphor, when it would be just
as easy to be straightforward about things?  It seems more likely that
he wanted to be sure they had enough swords to defend themselves, if
they were attacked, but not enough to start a revolution.

Also, I was under the impression that Biblical cannon was not very well
established yet.  Different scripts were holy in different places, so
you couldn't just say "make sure you have a Bible," as what was holy
writ varied, and wasn't collected and available to everyone as what was
holy writ varied, and wasn't collected and available to everyone.  On
the other hand, I doubt it was much better collected by the time Paul
talked about the Sword of the Spirit.

I guess my basic problem with this view of things is that it assumes
that Jesus must have been using the word -> sword metaphor, just because
Paul used it later.  But Jesus, oddly enough, tends to extend on
metaphors used before him, not after him.  If he were being
metaphorical, it seem more likely that he would tell them to sell their
cloak to buy bread (i.e. the bread of life).

Aaron Lehmann