[CS-FSLUG] Seagate sata hdd's and Linux

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Sat Jul 9 09:12:25 CDT 2005

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Saturday 09 July 2005 12:33 am, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>>I found this problem on the kanotix forums and a link to the reason for
>>the problem:
>>
>>http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.php?t=9375
>>http://home-tj.org/m15w/
>>
>>"It's basically because of faulty SATA implementation of the affected
>>seagate hard drives combined with standard-compliant but peculiar
>>behavior of silicon image controllers."
>

> I think the controller on that hard drive is VIA......better check that.
>

>>Anyway, not wanting to take any chances I am thinking about a Samsung
>>hard drive -- any thoughts?
>

> 'Doable, but NOT the quality of Seagate.....I have the Seagate 200G SATA.
>

>>BTW. What is the best Linux tool for putting a partition table on a
>>*new* hard drive?
>>I ask because it has happened to me in the past that QTParted can't
>>handle *new* drives with no partition table on them.
>

> Use Yast during the install...........oh, oh. You're not using SUSE. ;)
>
> Fred

I did a google search:
http://www.google.com/linux?q=seagate+sata+problems&restrict=linux

and came up with quite a number of hits. I then checked the specs for
the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum and unfortunately it uses the Silicon Image
controller -- so Seagate is a no-go. So it seems that I will have to put
my trust in Samsung as the only other alternative (of names that I
recognise) is Maxtor, but it is a 160GB drive and 100 shekels more :-(

I'll let you all know how it goes (in about a week or so).

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com